Explore the Schedule: Live and On Demand Sessions
CHEST 2021 sessions bring you the latest clinical recommendations based on research and evidence-based guidelines from the last year. Our 200+ live and on demand sessions highlight the most relevant, popular, and sometimes obscure topics in chest medicine.
Please note: Certain sessions may not be reflected here, and this schedule is subject to change. The most up-to-date schedule will be found in the online meeting platform.
Pulmonary Care of the Pediatric Patient With a Long-term Tracheostomy Tube
October 21, 2021 - October 1, 2022
This simulation-based course is designed specifically to provide basic and more advanced learning for clinicians managing pediatric or adult patients with chronic tracheostomy tubes with and without invasive ventilation including pulmonary clearance. Participants will develop further knowledge of the equipment required, management of emergency scenarios, airway clearance as well as ventilator management including choice of mode, setup, alarms, and basic troubleshooting. Airway clearance devices discussed will include the Mechanical Insufflator-Exsufflator, the vest, the Metaneb System, and the VOCSYN multifunction ventilator.
- 1. Demonstrate and manage clinical simulations to become proficient in emergency management of tracheostomy tube-related emergencies.
- 2. Understand the guiding principles involved in circuit, mode and alarm selection to ensure patient safety and effective ventilation. Attendees will also learn an approach to troubleshooting ventilator alarms for the invasively ventilated pediatric and adult patient.
- 3. Implement an appropriate and effective airway clearance regimen based on the patient’s pathophysiology.
- 4. Develop an understanding of the complications associated with the device and adjust the device to improve patient compliance
- 5. Appreciate the algorithm and specifications of the equipment and in turn, teach patients and caregivers how to use the equipment effectively.
CHEST ID: 3048
The CHEST 2021 schedule is subject to change.